Tuesday, March 8, 2011

textures

kinda busy with other things, sketching up ideas for a dream video game concept. It's not in development, just kicking around ideas
Oh well, I love scanning in my own textures. So I found some paper bags and some cardboard boxes. Scanned them in high resolution, in photoshop I usually tweak up the levels to make sure things pop more and also include color value changes in order for it to change a bit.






I was never crazy about using textures off of the internet. A lot of that is because of resolution problems, but I do enjoy just finding and discovering my own textures and it's something that it's quite simple. It adds that little bit of personal taste that you can't find anywhere else.

4 comments:

AIM said...

You find any texture that helps simulate gauche paintings you let me know y'hear!

Dream video game concept? By any chance is it Super Sonic and Mario's Universe: Snakes Awakening?

crithon said...

hmmmm I'm not sure what gauche painting is really like? I'm so used to seeing it like watercolor style to it or thicker like acrylic. I mean I never seen much of a thickiness to the textures.... maybe I don't know much about Gauche paintings?

lol, If I did a platformer it'd be closer to Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales.

AIM said...

Gouache* sorry lol. It's pretty much a watercolour version of acrylic but has more of a matte finish. I actually prefer acrylic because you can pretty much paint on anything solidly, wood, plastic, glass displays.

I'm pitching a Darkwing Duck game at the end of the month to a company. Glad I'm not alone in thinking ducks are cool.

crithon said...

hehe, no need to correct your spelling it's the internets. But yeah, I don't know really more the tactile nature of the medium so I don't know really how to mimic it. Like with watercolors it's about colors bleeding into the paper, and that's how I got the whole gimmick to work using the layer options.

Yeah, I miss going to life painting, and carrying my acrylics and having them dry super fast after a 2 hour life painting session.

Hehe, so happy to see the Disney comic company releasing Darkwing Duck comics, just hope they get a large marvel distribution arm.