Monday, June 20, 2011

Catwoman's Cats


the hardest problem about showing behind the scene stuff is you can never predict what the reader wants to learn from my own art process. Actually I do hope to scroll down and read some of my past post explaining some of my other techniques, this blog is like 3 years old of stuff I never update.
Oh well, on this recent piece took me about 3 years conceiving it, inspired by Adam Hughes, Dean Yeagle and Aristocats. It's a bit showing how glamorous Catwoman's life style is and how she loves her cats.

I'm pretty sure I posted this last year, but the original designs of the cats come from here. I love their weight, their movement and their excitement.



this is my third time I've started drawing this scene. Sadly the head is all off so instead of redrawing it a fourth time I went in resized a small sketch and used that as the new head. Now I took like a good 3 weeks thinking it over, I really wasn't sure if it was right idea. As much a painting is really about painting over previous lines I really wanted a nice clean original line work. In a way my own insecurities get the better of me to actually improve myself.

the biggest reason why I pushed this art process was because of support from my friends. I have so much respect and admiration for artists who can do this all easily in one go, so any single little fault I have I will stop and just prevent myself from progressing my art.



At this point it was 3 in the morning, I had to stop and take a break. The texture was originally an idea that I came from coloring a pin up from Justin Coffee. Still all tempt and I had it there so I can go to sleep and think it over.

well this puts an end to a 3 year of insecurities, doubting myself and ideas that were just a small little joke in my head. Here's some nice close ups you can't notice in the resized ones


5 comments:

AIM said...

Wow, those are some nice details on the close-ups. What canvas size was this one done in?

crithon said...

uh, I think it's 8 x 11? not sure. USA measurements are different then the whole A5 and A4 like everyone else in the world uses.

AIM said...

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of A4 paper over here. I'm assuming you scan at 300dpi and work at size right? This looks like it was large, like something that would print nicely.

crithon said...

ahhhh, well I just use simple loose leaf printer paper it's easier to scan with. Haven't used a proper sketchbook in years.

crithon said...

oh yes, 300 DPI